Sunday, June 5, 2011

This weekend, I decorated my future home (that does not exist), planned my future wedding (which is nowhere in the foreseeable future), contemplated writing a children's book (which has no idea how to launch itself), and bought a cat named Bunny (who sleeps and scratches things in sixty-minute intervals throughout the day). So, what am I not good at? Practicality. I did not need a cat. I did not need to pick out color schemes for functions that have no date, address, or groom.

Thus, despite my dawdling daydreams, I am proud of myself for this sole accomplishment: I resisted the shoe sale at Dillard's.
(But I did buy a cat . . . )

All of my tomfoolery this weekend reminds me of a quote from my dear dead friend, Thoreau (Whom I have never met but he did take up a significant portion of my students' final exam):

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

Henry David Thoreau

I'm good at the castles part but working on the foundations. Oh well, here's my cat:

I wanted to name him Atticus, but that was overruled. So now I present to the world George Herbert Bailey who has become known as "Bunny."

No comments:

Post a Comment